Posted: May 31, 2022
Position: Program Coordinator
Program: Tech for Independent Living
Employment Type: Full Time
Compensation: $50,000/yr, plus benefits
Application Deadline: Tuesday, June 21, 2022
If you have a positive attitude, pride in your work, and a passion for helping others,
you may be interested in joining our team.
As the Tech for Independent Living Program Coordinator you will provide development, training, and assistance in using the latest technology to create independence for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). This position implements a Travel Training, Employment, Safety, and Daily Living Skills program in collaboration with public and private schools, disability provider agencies, and organizations throughout the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. To learn more about the Tech for Independent Living program, visit https://thearcofnova.org/programs-services/independent-living/.
This position is excellent for someone who has worked with people with IDD in social work, special education, therapeutic recreation, counseling, disability employment, as a job coach, or in disability group homes. Ability to work independently to assist schools, organizations, and caregivers in the use of technology to grow independence for those with IDD is imperative. Knowledge of DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia programs and organizations that support people with disabilities is helpful. The position works at various locations throughout the DMV.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities- The chosen employee will be expected to:
• Coordinate program, evaluation and reporting activities related to grant projects
• Create behavior, task, and travel lessons
• Become well versed on the technology offerings and maintain communication with the technology vendors
• Keep up with updates in relevant technology
• Communicate with representatives of Northern Virginia school systems, private schools, and disability organizations concerning the program
• Develop evaluation and reporting materials
• Perform multiple Travel Training, Employment, and Independent Living Skills trainings
• Assist in the development and implementation of the evaluation and outcome components related to the program
• Respond to phone and email information & referral questions and requests related to the program
• Attend and participate in relevant community meetings on behalf of The Arc of Northern Virginia
• Attend The Arc of Northern Virginia’s events to staff displays and provide information, as needed
• Other related duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience- The perfect candidate will have:
• Degree and/or experience in social work, special education, therapeutic recreation, counseling, disability employment, disability group homes, or a related field
• Experience with program planning and/or project management
• Experience working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and families
• Knowledge of D.C. Maryland, and Northern Virginia programs and organizations that support people with disabilities
• Knowledge of public transportation resources in the Northern Virginia and Washington, DC metropolitan area
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Solid organization and time management skills
• Proficiency in standard office software and virtual meeting platforms
• Ability to work independently performing duties under general supervision
Salary: This position is being offered at an annual salary of $50,000.
Benefits: The Arc of Northern Virginia offers a benefit package for full-time employees that includes paid time off, paid holidays, medical and dental insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and a tax-deferred retirement saving account plan. Specific details of the chapter’s benefits package can be discussed during the interview process.
Special Requirements- The candidate selected for this position will be required to complete a Child Protective Services Registry and a Criminal Background check to the satisfaction of The Arc of Northern Virginia. Valid motor vehicle driver’s license is required and the candidate will be required to use their own vehicle to and from appointments and meetings, with mileage reimbursement.
How To Apply:
Email your resume and a cover letter to:
Peter Leisen, Program Manager
The Arc of Northern Virginia
Please include the position title in the subject line of your email.
Applications must be received by Tuesday, June 21, 2021
The Arc of Northern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer.
At The Arc of Northern Virginia, we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly based on their knowledge, skills, experience, and achievements without regard to race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.