Posted: September 29, 2020
Position: Program Assistant
Program: Tech for Independent Living
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Falls Church (Merrifield), Va (NOTE: Staff are working a hybrid work schedule, with 2 days in the office, 3 days remote work.)
Compensation: $16.00 per/hour
Application Deadline: Friday, October 15, 2021
If you have a positive attitude, pride in your work, and a passion for helping others,
you may be interested in joining our team.
The Tech for Independent Living Program Assistant provides creative development, coordination and online incorporation of the Tech for Independent Living templates and curriculum. These are the guides and educational material for an individual with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities to develop and expand their independence. This is done under the supervision of the Program Manager and in cooperation with the Program Coordinator and other staff members of The Arc of Northern Virginia. Additionally, the Program Assistant may be asked to provide in-person travel training, daily living skills training, or other duties that would advance the program participants’ independence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities- The chosen employee will be expected to:
• Research, plan, organize, and develop curriculum and guides for templates including but not limited to TravelMate, EmployMate, SafetyMate, DailyMate, MoneyMate, and SocialMate.
• Research, plan, organize, and develop new online training module components for all independent living curriculums.
• Communicate with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and family members during training sessions and for follow-up support afterwards.
• Participate in online information & referral sessions, workshops, and webinars to share information about the program, travel training and safety related issues.
• Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications- The perfect candidate will have:
• Experience in using and/or creating online virtual training experiences
• Experience and empathy in the challenges of people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities
• Knowledge of public transportation resources in the Northern Virginia and Washington, DC metropolitan area
• Experience working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and families
• Knowledge of programs and organizations that support people with disabilities
• Solid organization and time management skills
• Proficiency in standard office software
• Ability to work independently performing duties under general supervision
Work Hours: This position is part-time, starting at 10-hours per week, and can be flexible, although they may include some evening and some weekend commitments. The posted and accepted general work hours for the organization are Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Wage: This position is being offered at an hourly wage of $16.00.
Special Requirements- The candidate selected for this position will be required to complete a Child Protective Services Registry and a Criminal Background check to the satisfaction of The Arc of Northern Virginia.
How To Apply:
Email your resume and a cover letter to:
Peter Leisen, Prgram Manager
The Arc of Northern Virginia
Please include the position title in the subject line of your email.
Applications must be received by Friday, October 15, 2021
The Arc of Northern Virginia is an equal opportunity employer.
At The Arc of Northern Virginia, we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly based on their knowledge, skills, experience, and achievements without regard to race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.