Announcing a hybrid (virtual and in-person) experience for families to acquire
our award-winning TravelMate and EmployMate online curriculums!
About Tech Camp
This July, The Arc of Northern Virginia will feature our next TECH CAMP for individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. The purpose of Tech Camp will be to provide direct access to, and training on, our suite of online independent living curriculums, including TravelMate, EmployMate, SafetyMate, DailyMate, and MoneyMate. By hosting this training opportunity as a “summer camp” experience, our goal is for participants to have fun, socialize, and make friends while using and learning technology to become more independent.
This year’s Tech Camp will be a hybrid learning experience, combining virtual activities in a variety of formats including Zoom, small group virtual meetings, and one on one support meetings with real-world, on-site experiences designed to put the learning into practice.
General Event Information
• People with developmental disabilities 18 years and up, and
• a dedicated family member (parent, sibling (over 16) who commits to full participation for the entire TECH Camp experience
• TECH Camp is designed to be a FUN, PARTICIPATORY experience that the whole family can enjoy!
Tuesday through Friday – July 12-15, 2022
*see additional details under format
TECH Camp 2022 will be presented as a HYBRID Event. Morning learning sessions will be done virtually (Zoom, Google, Facetime.) Afternoon and evening sessions can be done in-person in the community, or virtually. – You Choose!*
*During the assigned afternoon and evening activities, it is the choice of the family whether you go out into the community safely (with masks and social distancing as needed) for short field trips to a bus stop or Metro Station. All can be activities done safely at home or in your yard as well. You choose what works best for your family situation.
A four day virtual “Camp” experience in your own home!
• Lodge Zoom Meetings: 10am-12pm each day – will include small group Cabin Meetings as well as large group workshops and trainings
• “Stump the Experts” – 1-5pm each day – sign up support groups
• Counselor Campfires: evenings or afternoons by mutual appointment – one on one support with a volunteer camp counselor
• Support will be provided before and after the camp
All activities will include interactive presentations, activities and games.
• a tablet (any kind) for the person needing support
• a laptop or computer for the parent or sibling.
• Smart phone for parent or sibling
Additionally, each individual participating in Tech Camp will need to provide an email address and phone number.
• Each family will leave Tech Camp with customized lessons for their family member that can be used immediately for daily virtual support towards living as independently as possible.
• Each individual with a developmental disability will receive a YEAR LONG LICENSE to TravelMate (public transportation) and DailyMate (daily living activities), access to our other ‘Mates, and BONUS educational lessons and supports in modified formats.
Watch for Future Camp Session Announcements
Registration for our first 2022 camp session is now OPEN.
Questions? Just Ask!
Questions about Tech Camp? Email: email@example.com